Horizons Regional Council Bus Services
Horizons Regional Council will resume full bus services from Monday 18 May 2020. Information on the latest service updates can be found on our website at https://www.horizons.govt.nz/buses-transport/bus-notices
There are some Covid-19 Level 2 requirements that we ask you to assist with to ensure the successful operation of bus services.
Horizons provides a mix of general public bus routes and dedicated school routes (these are outside of MOE services). There are specific requirements around physical distancing for using our services:
General Public Bus Routes
- The Ministry of Health has determined physical distancing requirements of 1m on board public transport services and Horizons must comply with this. Our buses all have stickers and messaging showing where customers can sit and where they cannot. Please note, we are not able to monitor this in real time and as such it must be the responsibility of students and their families to ensure this is adhered to.
- This physical distancing requirement severely impacts the number of customers that can be carried on each bus – for example, a typical bus is able to accommodate up to 55 people normally, however can only carry 20 at Alert Level 2. We therefore request in the morning parents/caregivers wait with students at the bus stop, as students could be left behind.
- Horizons will be working with our operators to provide backup services where possible but the number of available buses and drivers is limited. It is important parents are aware that there are restrictions on these services and there may be delays in dispatching back up buses.
Full timetable information is available at https://www.horizons.govt.nz/buses-transport/bus-routes-transport/downloadable-timetables
Please also note that:
- All services remain fare free until further notice.
- We request your assistance with managing the after school boarding of buses, to ensure that physical distancing can be maintained, and to make arrangements for any students not able to board the bus due to the restricted capacity caused by the physical distancing requirements. Please note, bus drivers are not able to perform this function.
Lastly, we thank you all for your patience and support over this different way of operating and changes within our community.